FROM OLD AND
RECENT HISTORY OF
Zvolenska Slatina belongs to the
largest and historically most important small towns in Zvolen region. It is
situated 8 km east of Zvolen, a town of
40000 inhabitants in center of Slovakia. The town got its name from Slavic
name of river Slatina that runs through it and in Zvolen under Pusty
castle flows into river Hron.
Last year it celebrated its 665th
anniversary of the first written record, 140 years from the birth or writer
Terezia Vansova at the Luthereans rectory (author of novels Undercastle
Orphan and Curse), 125 years from the birth of music composer Mikulas Moyzes
in Catholic school and 200 years from the incorporation of the bryndza (sheep
cheese) factory of Peter Molec known for its products even now.
Oldest settlement is from
Younger Bronze Age (1200-1000 years BC) and this is also documented by
findings of radiance burial place of people of the Luzica culture.
First written mention of the
settlement comes from Holy Father's registers in years 1332-37. Already at
this time there was a church of Patronage of the Holy Cross with rectory and
priest Peter from Santa Crux de Solio (Zvolen's Saint Cross). The town is
mentioned in 14th century in Latin as Zlatina Soliensis, it belonged to the
Royal Zvolen's holdings with center at Zvolen's castle (today's Pusty Hrad).
People were involved in farming, raising cattle and guarding King's forests
and fishponds. At the end of 14th century 4 Km to the east, Viglas castle
was build as hunting and resting place for the Hungarian King Ludovit I Anjou
and Slatina became part of the Viglas castle holdings. In 16th century it is
mentioned as a town-oppidun and it is important toll center and market place
at the business route from Novohrad (Lucenec) to Zvolen. The expansion of
town was interrupted by the Turkish invasions. For aproximately 150 years the
Turks were trying to win over the area of Slatina and the Viglas castle in
order to get to rich mining towns as Kremnica, Bystrica and Stiavnica. The
development of town at the end of feudal era is closely connected with Esterhazy
family, who was the owner of the Viglas holdings at that time. In 19th
century they elected Slatina to be their seat for the administrator of their
properties and thus influenced economic and social life of the town. In
1848-1932 Slatina, known at that time Velka (Large and in Hungarian Nagy
Slatina) was also the seat of Sluznov district that also included nearby
Detva. Slatina was until the half of the 16th century Lutheran town, but only
after 1785 (tolerance patent of Jozef II) could build their Lutheran Church,
rectory, and school. Rectory alone became during the 19th century center of
national intellectual life of Slovaks. Lutheran priest Samuel Medvecky who
was often visited by Jan Francisci, Andrej Sladkovic and August
Stanislav Skultety, lived here in years 1835-76. His Children were born
here, also previously mentioned Terezia Vansova nee Medvecka and a member
of Slovak National Party, lawyer and national economist Samuel Stefan Medvecky.
Jan Alexander Fabry
religious writer and nationalist was Lutheran priest here in 1876-1908. After
his death people of Slatina have shown their unhappiness with installation of
pro-Hungarian priest and only after two years of legal battles with the
Hungarian ruling authority they succeeded with installation of nationalist
priest Michal Bazlik. Actively and pro nationalistic were also the Roman
Catholic priest and poet working in Slatina in 1907-1928, JŠn Dateľ. Jan
Bahyl, inventor of horizontal propeller that formed the foundation of
helicopter belongs to the important residents of Slatina in last century. The
people of Slatina welcomed the events of 1918. Through the personality of
Mayor Koloman Petko, they approved the Declaration of the Slovak Nation,
formed National Assembly and national Guards. The whole time of the First
republic Slatina, and from 1927 again called Zvolenska Slatina kept its town
character. In 1924 they established townsmen school, they activated farm
cooperatives linking up with milk, nourishment and credit cooperatives from
the beginning of the century.
Expanding was also rich
association and cultural activity through Matica Slovenska, Zivena
association, Amateur Theater, local choir, and voluntary fire department.
Slatina folklore remained
very much alive until now in songs, dance, clothing, and embroidery and in
instruments of whistle and fujara maker Martin Luptak-Sanitrar, bag
piper Jan Hudan and whistler Jan Vyboch.
To the most important living
personalities of Zvolenska Slatina belong their natives: children writer Maria
Durickova, Academic sculptor Jan Kulich, composer Vojtech Tatos, play-writerStefan M. Sokol, academic Ondrej Pavlik, ethnographer
Bozena Filova-Barabasovz and the best primas violin player Rinaldo Olah.
The town and its people contributed really on large scale to the history and
culture of the Slovak Nation.
BACK TO TOWNS AND VILLAGES
Published in the
Slovak Heritage Live newsletter Volume 6, No. 3, Fall 1998
Copyright © Vladimir Linder 1998
Street, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada V5C 1P6
The above article and
photographs may not be copied, reproduced, republished, or redistributed
by any means including electronic, without the express written permission
Linder. All rights reserved.