Slovak Heritage Live


You will find every town and village in the
Slovak Army 
Auto Atlas

Genealogical research

Ancestral Village Videos

Ancestral Village Photography

Journey Through Slovakia Videos

Folklore Videos

All photographs
are for sale

Get the history of any 
village or town in Slovakia

All photographs
are for sale



This is a huge, well preserved castle situated on a hill above village Píla in Small Carpathians. Originally there was a King’s castle of which the first written records date back to middle of 13th century. It belonged to a series of medieval border castles that were built in 13th century for defense of western border of Hungarian Empire.

At the beginning of 16th century it belonged to Thurzo family and from 1535 to Fuggers, well known and rich entrepreneurs, that belonged to one of the richest families in Europe magnates and financiers. Their richness came from their copper and other precious metals mines and from trading. Anton Fugger a builder of great name started to build a new castle on the foundations of the old gothic castle with huge storage warehousing areas in the basement and fortification system. As a medieval fortification, it is one of the best-preserved structures in Slovakia.

16.JPG (17105 bytes)

08.JPG (56383 bytes)

The new rebuilding started in 1537 and it lasted twenty years. At first they built new fortification system consisting of four cannon bastions that were joined by defense walls that were defending huge basement warehouse. Later they continued with building more living quarters and a Chapel and enlarging the warehousing space. In 1588 the castle was purchased by count Mikuláš Pálffy, who by the way was husband of Anna Fugger, and he changed the fortress by building more wings to a renaissance castle. Later remodeling only added to the value of the castle.

04.JPG (66812 bytes)

05.JPG (66517 bytes)

On the main floor a Sala Terrena was created. The access was provided from the main entrance hall on the main floor. It has a look of a cave with rich wall paintings by Italian artists mostly frescoes by C. Tencalov. In 18th century the bastions are becoming living quarters. The castle remained in the Palffy family until 1945. Palffy’s were also art collectors and collected numerous rare art artifacts that are part of the museum exhibition now. Today there is an exposition of historic furniture at the castle.


Published in the Slovak Heritage Live newsletter Volume 13, No.3, Fall 2005
Copyright © Vladimir Linder 2005
3804 Yale Street, Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada V5C 1P6
The above article and photographs may not be copied, reproduced, republished, or redistributed by any means including electronic, without the express written permission of
Vladimir Linder. All rights reserved.